Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
My family loves this recipe after trying many different ones. When I'm short on time I use canned beans and just add the rest of the ingredients, I cook the bacon up when using canned beans. ENJOY!
- 1 lb dried pinto bean
- 4 slices bacon or 4 slices salt pork
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 quarts water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Clean beans and wash well with water.
- Put beans in large pot, add water.
- Bring beans to boil and let boil for 1 hour.
- Check closely, as beans cook, you will probably need to add more water.
- Run tap water until very hot before adding to beans.
- Add bacon pieces and cook another 45 minutes.
- Add spices and reduce heat to low and cook another 20 to 25 minutes.
Great Beans! I do add a bay leaf during cooking but otherwise follow the directions and ingredients exactly.
It's unanimous, 5 stars again. Loved this with cornbread and salad. I didn't change the seasonings at all and thought they were perfect. Made this with turkey ham and pureed 1 cup of the finished beans, adding them back to the pot for creaminess.
This is a very good recipe. They are very flavorful. Thanks for posting.