Recipe by Karen=^..^=
This is a very old recipe from "Spry" that I added to my recipe box over 20 years ago. It is a little time consuming, but worth it.
Top Review by Vicki B.
Thank you for publishing this recipe! It was my dad's favorite dessert and my mother made it every Feb. 17 for his birthday! I just wrote a post about it on www.stickhorsecowgirls.blogspot.com with a link to this wonderful recipe!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon rind
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup pineapple juice, plus
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- lemon, rind of one
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour, sugar, soda and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Add lemon rind and drop in shortening.
- Add pineapple juice and vanilla.
- Beat 200 strokes or 2 minutes.
- Add egg whites and beat 200 more strokes.
- Bake in two greased 8 inch square pans at 360* (yes, 360) for 25- 30 minutes.
- Chill layers and then split each in half horizontally.
- Spread pineapple filling onto each layer and cover top with whipped cream.
- Refrigerate several hours before serving.
- Pineapple filling: Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in top of double boiler.
- Add lemon juice and rind and mix well.
- Add beaten egg yolks, pineapple juice and butter and blend.
- Place over boiling water for 15 minutes or until thick.
- Whipped Cream: Beat heavy cream with sugar until light and fluffy.