Recipe by Tebo
The sweetness of the pineapple lends itself surprisingly well with the lentils. Spice it up a bit with some hot sauce of chile powder!! Freeze leftovers for later.
Top Review by Alissaa
Quite tasty! With the texture and flavor, it's almost like shredded pineapple chicken. I added a 20oz can of pineapple since I have a bit of a sweet tooth, and I'm glad I did. I also simmered for about 35 minutes, rather than 45. Any more would have been too much. Will try adding the chile powder... a bit of extra "zest" might be nice
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups picked over lentils
- 6 cups water
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in medium pot over moderate heat.
- Saute onions with the salt and pepper, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and lentils, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cook covered for 45 minutes.
- Stir in the pineapple and serve.