Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a hearty delicious chicken dish. Make certain to purchase good quality black beans so that they will hold up during cooking. I season this dish using The Best Creole/Cajun Seasoning Mix that I keep in my pantry all the time to add more "zing" to recipes! You will need a large skillet for this recipe, a large electric fypan will work great, or use a Dutch oven. You can increase the chicken legs and thighs and double all other ingredients if desired, do not double the garlic amount though!
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 chicken legs
- salt and black pepper (I use seasoned salt)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (or use cayenne pepper to taste)
- 1 cup crushed canned tomato
- 1⁄2 cup bottled pimiento, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans (rinsed and drained, can use less beans)
- 1 cup uncooked converted white rice
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth or 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat.
- Season the chicken with salt and black pepper; add to the pan and brown well on both sides; remove to a plate (you can drain some fat but leave some in the pan).
- Add in onion, red bell pepper (if using) and chili flakes; saute stirring with a wooden spoon for 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add in crushed tomatoes and pimientos, stir scraping bottom with a wooden spoon to dislodge and brown bits in the bottom of the pan.
- Add in black beans, rice, broth, chopped parsley and about 1 teaspoon salt (I use Creole seasoning in place of salt) mix to combine, then place the browned chicken (skin-side down) on top in an even layer.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed in the rice (about 12 minutes).
- Using tongs turn the chicken skin-side up.
- Reduce the heat to low; cover and cook until the chicken and rice are done (about 15 minutes longer).