Recipe by Suzie_Q
This is the basic potato/cheese perogy filling that my family has always used, it is delicious! I use this recipe just as a base, I am alway fooling around with measurements to get the "perfect" taste.
- 8 medium potatoes (my favourite to use are Yukon Gold)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and cut up potatoes, boil until tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, sauté onion in butter on medium heat until translucent and slightly browned.
- Drain potatoes, slightly mash them, then add sautéed onions, mash slightly more.
- Add cheese 1/2 cup a time and salt and pepper, mixing thoroughly while mashing potatoes.
- Depending on your tastes, you may want to add more or less cheese, as well as salt and pepper.
- You don't want to over-mash the potatoes, they are easier to work with when they are "roughly" mashed rather than whipped or creamy, although that may just be a preference among my family.
- I usually can fill between 70 - 80 perogies with this recipes depending on size of perogies.