Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
I have made these garlic pickles for the last 8 years and friends love them. The original recipe was in "Company's Coming" but I have made a few changes to suit my taste. It is a good recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs garlic, peeled,large cloves cut in half
- 5 hot peppers
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 1 1⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut in strips (Optional)
- Combine vinegar & sugar over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves, bring to a boil and boil 5 minutes Add Garlic and hot peppers,also add sweet red pepper if using.
- Bring to a boil and boil 5 minutes.
- Put a hot pepper into each sterilized jar, add the cloves of garlic to within 1" of the top of the jar (add the sweet red pepper if using) Fill with boiling sugar/vinegar mixture to within 1/4" of the top of the jar.
- Release air bubbles, ensure the rim is clean and seal the jars.
- Let the pickled garlic rest for 2 weeks and believe me you will enjoy.
Easy and Excellent. How much better could it be? Great flavor with the jalapeno peppers but I am tempted to try this with habaneros just to 'heat' 'em up a little more. Definite keeper and definitely eager to see garlic season arrive.
Here is another rave review for your pickled garlic, Bergy. I made them for my DH because he adores garlic, so I knew he would find them tasty. But, I admit I was pretty leary of munching on a garlic clove myself. But, I gave one a tiny nibble and couldn't believe how delicious they were. Why don't these make your breath stink, which was my biggest concern. I had visions of sleeping on the couch after DH indulged in a handful of these hot babies. But, I snuggled as usual with no disturbance to my sleep. I also "cheated" and bought a huge jar - about 4 cups - of whole, peeled garlic. It's in the vegetable section of my grocery store. Normally I don't use these, preferring to cut and peel my own, but these are a wonderful time saver and are worth the small sacrifice of flavor, I think. 5 stars for you, Bergy, and a round of applause!
Well, I'm adding this after Dad, even though he tried them first when I made them :) Simply delicious. Had a hard time waiting two weeks for them though, and I imagine I will have an even harder time next time I make them since I know how good they are, thank you so much.