Prep 30 mins
Cook 24 hrs
This recipe is from the Farm House Cookbook.
- 1 large bunch beet (about 1-1/2lbs)
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar (I use rice vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (I use fructose)
- 6 allspice berries
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- Trim beet stems, leaving 1/2 inch of stem intact. Do not trim roots.
- Bring water to a boil in the bottom of a vegetable steamer. Add beets, cover, and steam until nearly tender but still offer resistance when tested with a sharp knife about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove steamer basket from heat.
- While beets are steaming, combine vinegar, sugar, spices, and herbs in a saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat and keep warm.
- When beets are cool enough to handle, carefully scrape off the skin, trim the stem and root ends. Slice the beets into 1/8 inch thick slices and place in glass bowl. Cover with warm vinegar mix and set aside to cool.
- When cool, cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before using. They will keep for about 3 weeks.
- Makes 2 cups.