1/2 Photos of Pho Bo (Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup)
2 hrs 40 mins
2 hrs 15 mins
Member #610488's Note:
Recipe is from a restaurant in Ho Chi Minh city (Saigon), Vietnam. Acquired during a trip to Vietnam. This is an overnight dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup gingerroot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon anise seed or 3 star anise, whole
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1/2 lbs beef chuck, boned, rinsed and fat trimmed
- 2 1/4 quarts beef broth (fat skimmed if homemade)
- 1/4 cup Southeast Asian fish sauce (Nouc Mam Sauce)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Southeast Asian fish sauce (Nouc Mam Sauce)
- 2 cups bean sprouts, rinsed (optional)
- 1/4 cup jalapeno chile, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1/2 cup Thai basil, rinsed (optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, rinsed (optional)
- 3 limes, rinsed and cut into wedges (optional)
- 8 ounces sirloin steaks, fat trimmed, very thinly sliced
- 6 cups cooked rice vermicelli
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup green onion, thinly sliced (including tops)
- hoisin sauce (optional)
- Southeast Asian fish sauce (Nouc Mam Sauce) (optional)
- 1Wrap ginger, anise, shallots and cinnamon in two layers of cheesecloth; tie with heavy cotton string.
- 2In a 10 qt pan, combine beef chuck, broth, 2 1/2 qts water, nouc mam sauce, sugar and spice bundle. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover, reduce heat and simmer until beef is tender when pierced (1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours).
- 3With a slotted spoon, transfer meat to a freezer container and freeze overnight. Cool soup and then refridgerate overnight.
- 4The next day, take frozen beef chuck and thinly slice across the grain into 2 to 3 inch slices.
- 5Skim and discard fat from broth. Add 1/8 tsp salt and 2 tbsp Nouc Mam sauce. Bring broth back to boil.
- 6Arrange bean sprouts, chiles, basil, cilantro, and limes on a platter.
- 7Once broth boils, reduce to simmer. Immerse sliced sirloin in simmering broth (use wire strainer or skimmer) and cook just until brown on the outside but still pink in the center (30 seconds to 1 min). Lift out and set aside.
- 8Mound hot cooked rice noodles equally in deep bowls (at least 3 cup capacity). Top equally with beef chuck, sirloin, yellow onion and green onions.
- 9Ladle broth over noodles to cover generously.
- 10Serve Pho Bo with platter of condiments, hoisin sauce and chili paste adding to taste.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pho Bo (Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (669 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 410.4
- Calories from Fat 226
- Total Fat 25.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 106.6 mg
- Sodium 2910.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 33.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: