Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Moist, dense and full of cinnamon-sugar coated apples. Use Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Macintosh or Gala apples.
- 6 cups peeled thinly sliced apples (about 3 large apples or 6 small apples)
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 cups flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional) or 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Mix apple slices with cinnamon and 1 cup sugar; set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat eggs with 1 1/2 cups sugar and light brown sugar.
- Alternately add the dry ingredients and the oil to the wet ingredients, then add the orange juice and lastly the vanilla and beat for 1 minute.
- Pour 1/3rd of the batter into a greased and floured tube pan.
- Layer 1/3rd of the apple slices and nuts over the batter.
- Repeat with layer of batter, then apples and nuts, then batter, then final layer of apples and nuts.
- Drizzle the cake with a bit of the remaining cinnamon-sugar "syrup" from the apple bowl.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/4 hours or until tester comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in pan on wire rack for 20-25 minutes, then turn cake out onto wire rack to cool completely.
Easy and delicious! Next time I'm going to put apple slices on top.
A wonderful cake.
Delish and moist! The only tweak I made was that I added an orange instead of orange juice. I didn't have any orange juice on hand, so after thinking it through, I thought adding the entire orange would be great, and it was :) I simply peeled the orange, and pureed it. Thank you for sharing.