Prep 1 hr 20 mins
Cook 28 mins
Nutmeg, ginger, cloves and even black pepper give spice to these popular Scandinavian holiday cookies. My neighbor made this for us last year. Different!
- 3⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups flour, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- Combine molasses, sugar and butter in a saucepan. Cook until just melted, then set aside to cool.
- Stir in eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Add half of flour, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, ginger and cloves. When completely combined, stir in remaining flour. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- After dough has chilled, preheat oven to 375°F.
- Shape into 1-inch balls and place 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 7 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer to wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar to decorate.
I thought these were awful. The molasses overpowered everything, and the lack of salt left these cookies quite bland, despite the abundance of fantastic spices in them. If left in balls, the cookies cook in little balls, meaning that the outside is overcooked and the inside is raw. Even after flattening the second batch before putting them in the oven, these cookies did not bake well and ended up dry and flour-y. Maybe adding salt, and decreasing the molasses, flour, and baking soda would help, but I'm never making these again. I ended up throwing them out.
Very tasty, my mom really loved them. They were a lot like the molasses cookies my mom always made, but so much easier and faster. I loved the texture, so soft on the inside. The powered sugar makes them look extra special. Just beware you don't over cook them! I wasn't expecting them to really be done in 7 minutes but they were.
Delicious!!!! And so pretty!!! Just letting you know the pepper isn't mentioned in the directions, but easy to guess when to add.