This is a copycat recipe from PF Chang's China Bistro. It's my favorite dish there, and while my dining room lacks the ambiance...this dish is still excellent at home!
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 12 ounces package extra firm water-packed tofu
- 1 small onion, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 small red bell pepper, cubed
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup whole sugar snap pea
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons unseasoned rice vinegar or 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup peanuts
- Drain the tofu, cube and fry in 1 tbsp canola oil until brown. Set aside. (See this thread: http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=170177) I recommend freezing the tofu first to firm up the texture.
- Separately blanch or steam the broccoli, carrots and sugar snap peas until tender-crisp in plain boiling water.
- Heat a wok or wide skillet over high heat until hot. Add 1 tbsp canola oil, swirl to glaze the pan, then add the onions and bell pepper. Stir-fry until tender-crisp, 3-4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and stir until hot, a few minutes more. Add the blanched vegetables and and tofu. Toss to mix.
- Combine the coconut-curry sauce ingredients. Taste and adjust the sugar to your liking.
- Add the sauce to the pan with the veggies. Bring to a simmer, tossing to combine.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in 1 1/2 tbsp of water and add to pan. Stir until the sauce turns glossy, about 10 seconds (a bit longer if you're doubling the sauce).
- Add the peanuts.
- Serve with rice, noodles, or a warm loaf of bread.
- Use a milder or hotter curry powder to vary the spice.
- For a really saucy dish to serve over rice or noodles, double the sauce ingredients and the cornstarch mixture.
Awesome! A few mods - I only had about 1/4 cup of peanuts so I also put a couple Tbs of chunky PB in the coconut-curry sauce. I subbed frozen sweet peas for snap peas (put in with the sauce right at the end). As per mersaydees' suggestion, I up'ed the curry powder a bit and per AliB's I scanted the sugar a bit. Double Bingo. Excellent fast weekday dinner - thank you WICC!
WONDERFUL dish! My DH who usually will not try anything "new" raved about it and said I should be sure to keep the recipe. That is MAJOR kudos from him! Only "mistake" I made is I think my coconut milk might have been sweetened or our brown sugar in Belgium is sweeter as the dish came out a little candy-ish, but that was my error. Great recipe! Thanks!
WONDERFUL! The only change I made was to slim down the sugar from 2 tablespoons to 2 teaspoons. The sweetness was just right for me and DH. We loved how healthy and tasty this dish was. Will try to add more curry and heat in it next time. Definitely a keeper! Thanks for posting!