Recipe by Keee
This recipe is a variation of PETA's recipe - the second time we made this, we changed things up and it turned out great! You can make it into sandwiches, as per the recipe, or you can just eat the tempeh and coleslaw in a bowl which is how we liked it!
For the BBQ Tempeh
- 1 lb tempeh
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
For the Slaw
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced onion
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 kaiser rolls, sliced in half
Directions See How It's Made
- For the BBQ Tempeh:.
- Crumble the tempeh into a tupperware container or ziploc baggie.
- Add the remaining tempeh ingredients to the container or baggie and marinate in the fridge while you make the coleslaw.
- Add all ingredients to a heated frying pan (preferably well seasoned cast iron) over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until heated through. If sticking, add more oil.
- For the Slaw:.
- • In a medium-size bowl, combine the cabbage, onions, vegan mayonnaise, and vinegar. Mix until well combined. Add the celery salt, salt, and pepper. Keep in mind that the tempeh will be both spicy and slightly salty! Cover and store in the fridge until ready to assemble the sandwiches.
- To Assemble:.
- • Lightly toast the rolls. Pile as much of the tempeh as you'd like onto one half of each roll. Top with some of the slaw and the other half of the roll and enjoy.