Recipe by MNLisaB
A nice, no fuss way you can use those turkey leftovers, very colorful, have not yet tried it myself. I have no idea where it originated, but it's got all of the basics,and no cream o' crap: just turkey, eggs, cheese, pesto, garlic, rice, fresh basil, fresh tomatoes, green peppers, green onions, etc.
Top Review by LorrieK
We really liked the flavor of this dish and also the fact that it was so easy to make. I used brown rice and low-fat cheese (a bit less than called for), and otherwise followed the recipe exactly. I love that there is no "cream o'crap" in this recipe; with the fresh ingredients and low-fat cheeses, it is a fairly healthy and low fat meal. Will definitely make again.
- 3 cups cooked rice, cooled to room temperature
- 2 cups cooked turkey, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup pesto sauce
- 3⁄4 cup fresh tomato, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1⁄4 cup green bell peppers or 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 eggs, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine rice and pesto, mix well in a large bowl.
- Add turkey, tomatoes, onions, green pepper, garlic, basil, salt, pepper, eggs and milk and stir until combined.
- Put mixture in a greased 9 X 13 pan.
- Top with cheeses.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- To serve, cut into eight squares, then cut each square diagonally into two triangles.
- Cooking time does not reflect the time used to cook the rice or turkey.