Recipe by Bergy
This is a meal-in-one easy casserole to make. Make ahead and keep it in the fridge until 1 hour before serving. Allow 15 minutes to let the cassserole dish get to room temperature before popping it into the oven. Add more or less veggies; vary the veggies. I like these veggies because it make a very attractive casserole.
Top Review by Kit^..^ty Of Canada
This was great. I usually find perogies rather bland but this has great flavor with the veggies. The dish looked very colourful. I will be making this again. Thank you Bergy.
- 1 kg potato & cheese pierogi (cheddar)
- 1 1⁄2 cups baby carrots, cleaned
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 banana peppers, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 1⁄4 cups mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups broccoli florets, raw
- 1 cup cauliflower floret, raw
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- sour cream
- bacon bits (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pop the perogies into boiling salted water; stir so they do not stick to the bottom of the pot; bring back to a boil and when they float to the top, add the carrots to the pot. Allow to cook for 5 minutes longer Drain carrots and perogies.
- Meanwhile heat a skillet, add 1 tsp oil and saute the onions and mushrooms until the onions are translucent. Add the peppers and saute another two minutes.
- Mix the perogies and onion mixture together.
- Pour into a lightly oiled large casserole dish (9"x14"x3").
- Arrange the tomatoes, broccoli, and cauliflower artistically on top of the perogies.
- Sprinkle evenly with the cheese.
- Cover and bake in a 350 degree fahrenheit oven for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake a further 15 minutes, allowing the cheese to slightly brown.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream and, if you wish, bacon bits. Just let everyone add their own at the table.