Recipe by I'm cookin', good lookin!
I have been making latkes for years. I have finally perfected the recipe.
Top Review by anniesnomsblog
I've wanted to try Latkes for years, so I decided to give them a go. WOW. They are delicious! I am a complete potato addict, so adore them fried/mashed/baked etc... these are my new favourite way to eat potatoes. Crisp on the outside, soft in the middle... just divine!
- 3 lbs russet potatoes
- 1 large sweet onion, about the size of a baseball, for every 3 - 4 large potatoes
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten, for every 4 potatoes
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- up to 4 teaspoons kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- parsley, to taste
- vegetable oil (for frying) or peanut oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor or through a salad shooter, finely grate peeled potatoes and onion. The faster the grating the less liquid that will come out.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Line a sieve with cheesecloth and transfer potatoes and onion to the sieve.
- Set sieve over a bowl, twist the cheesecloth into a pouch, and squeeze out as much moisture as you can.
- Let the mixture drain at least 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, pour off liquid from the bowl, but leave the white potato starch that settles on the bottom of the bowl.
- To the starch, add the eggs.
- Return drained potato-and-onion mixture and combine well.
- Return this entire mixture to the sieve and set the sieve over a bowl. Your latke mixture will continue to weep while you're cooking. This is normal, but you don't want any of this moisture; it'll turn your potatoes red.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil over medium-high heat until hot.
- Take about 2 tablespoons worth of the mixture into your hands and press them together to make a thin cake.
- Pat lightly in flour.
- Drop this pressed cake into the oil and fry until brown on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side; latkes should be golden and crisp on both sides.
- Eat right away or keep warm in oven.
- Serve with apple sauce or sour cream.