Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have been making latkes for years. I have finally perfected the recipe.
Make and share this Perfect Potato Latkes recipe from Food.com.
- In a food processor or through a salad shooter, grate peeled potatoes and onion.
- Line a sieve with cheesecloth and transfer potatoes and onion to the sieve.
- Set sieve over a bowl, twist the cheesecloth into a pouch, and squeeze out as much moisture as you can.
- Let the mixture drain at least 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, pour off liquid from the bowl, but leave the white potato starch that settles on the bottom of the bowl.
- To the starch, add the eggs, flour, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Return drained potato-and-onion mixture and combine well.
- Return this entire mixture to the sieve and set the sieve over a bowl. Your latke mixture will continue to weep while you're cooking. This is normal, but you don't want any of this moisture; it'll turn your potatoes red.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil over medium-high heat until hot.
- Take about 2 tablespoons worth of the mixture into your hands and press them together to make a thin cake.
- Drop this pressed cake into the oil and fry until brown on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side; latkes should be golden and crisp on both sides.
- Eat right away or keep warm in oven
- Serve with apple sauce or sour cream.
Absolutely... perfect. Thanks for posting!
Fantastic! The onion adds a perfect bit of bite to the potatoes.