Recipe by Marie
A cake to die for! Three layered chocolate cake with a whipped cream filling between layers and frosted overall with a decadent chocolate frosting. Recipe found on another website.
Top Review by KrabKokonas
**I made this cake in honour of Chef-I-am for her bake-a-thon.** This is the cake that is made for all special events at our house. It's really important to follow the directions to the T - time consuming but worth it. This cake only gets better after a day or two in the fridge. My grandmother found this recipe in a Southern Living as the winner of a bake-off in 1978... since then, it's made history! My grandmother always adds white chocolate to the filling. This keeps the whipped cream from tamping down and spilling out the sides of the cake. Try this recipe for the filling: FILLING 2 cups whipping cream 2 ounces chopped white baking chocolate 1 teaspoon vanilla 6 tablespoons confectionersâ€™ sugar Melt the white chocolate in 1/2 cup of the whipping cream. Chill for one hour. Whip with remaining cream, vanilla and sugar until spreadable.
- 1 cup cocoa
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1 cup butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- For Cake: Combine cocoa with boiling water and mix with a whisk, then cool completely.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 3 9" layer cake pans.
- In large bowl of electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla at high speed for 5 minutes.
- At low speed, beat in flour mixture in 4ths alternately with cocoa mixture in 3rds.
- Begin and end with flour mixture.
- Do not overbeat.
- Divide evenly in prepared pans and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes, then remove and cool on rack.
- For Filling: Whip cream, add sugar and vanilla.
- Beat until thick.
- For Frosting: In medium saucepan, combine chocolate chips, cream and butter.
- Stir over medium heat until smooth.
- Remove from heat and blend in powdered sugar with a whisk.
- In a bowl over ice, beat until it holds its shape.
- To assemble Cake: Place 1 layer top side down on large plate and spread with half the whipped cream.
- Place 2nd layer top side down on whipped cream and spread remaining whipped cream on top.
- Place 3rd cake layer on top, top side up.
- Frost sides and top of cake with chocolate frosting.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or longer before serving.