Typically, in Texas and surrounding states, chicken fried steak is deep fried in a pan and served with traditional peppered milk gravy. Got this form southern living.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 (6 ounce) boneless skinned chicken breasts
- 4 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 76 saltine crackers, crushed (2 sleeves)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 8 cups milk, divided
- 4 large eggs
- peanut oil
- 1Place chicken breasts between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- 2Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper evenly over chicken. Set aside.
- 3Combine cracker crumbs, 2 cups flour, baking powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, and ground red pepper.
- 4Whisk together 1 1/2 cups milk and eggs. Dredge chicken in cracker crumb mixture; dip in milk mixture, and dredge in cracker mixture again.
- 5Pour oil to a depth of 1/2 inch in a 12-inch skillet (do not use a nonstick skillet). Heat to 360°. Fry chicken, in batches, 10 minutes, adding oil as needed. Turn and fry 4 to 5 more minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack in a jellyroll pan. Keep chicken warm in a 225° oven. Carefully drain hot oil, reserving cooked bits and 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.
- 6Whisk together remaining 1/2 cup flour, remaining 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, remaining 1 teaspoon black pepper, and remaining 6 1/2 cups milk. Pour mixture into reserved drippings in skillet; cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened. Serve gravy with chicken.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peppery Chicken Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (511 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 646.8
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 238.5 mg
- Sodium 1925.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 57.1 g