Recipe by justcallmetoni
All the peppery spiciness of the Russian/Eastern European cookie in a quick bread. This recipe appeard in Cooking Light and is being submitted (untried) for the Zaar World Tour.
Top Review by Outta Here
This reminded me of the little cookies grandma used to make. Nice texture for being lowfat! And the flavors were great. Cooking time wasn't quite enough-I baked it about 50 minutes, but that may have been because of my pan size. I subbed Splenda for the sugar, but used the honey. Thanks for posting!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour (or use just all purpose white)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated whole nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground star anise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup apple butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, divided
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups and level top for measurement. Combine flours with baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, star anise and pepper in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Combine apple butter, sugar, honey, and eggs. Stir with a whisk until well combined.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry along with raisins and 1 tablespoon almonds, combine with whisk or spoon until just incorporated.
- Spoon batter into a loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle top with 1 tablespoon of almonds. Bake for 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.