Prep 25 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is a recipe I have created for the RSC Contest for Winter 2005. I have made it a couple of times, modifying it some the second time. It is good served with pasta and vegetables. I hope you enjoy it. I think it will be low in calories also.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1⁄3 cup shallot, chopped
- 5 -6 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 1⁄2 cups white wine, divided
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth, divided
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Saute the shallots and mushroom in 1 T of butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat for about 4 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of wine and 3/4 C of chicken broth and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove the mushroom from the sauce to a small bowl.
- Increase heat to high, cooking the wine mixture until it reduces to about 1/2 C (about 5-6 minutes), then pour over the mushrooms.
- Decrease heat to medium high, sprinkle pepper generously over the chicken pieces and cook in 1 T of butter, in the same skillet, covered, for about 5-6 minutes per side, or until the chicken is done.
- Place on a platter and keep warm.
- Add 1/2 C of wine and the rest of the broth to the skillet and deglaze, boiling for about 1 minute.
- Combine the cornstarch and lemon juice and add to the pan along with the basil leaves, and the retained mushroom sauce and bring to a boil for another minute, stirring constantly.
- Serve the chicken pieces with the sauce spooned over them.
- This tastes great served with pasta and vegetables.
this is pretty good! Love the sauce! I found the directions a little complicated and could be made simpler. I browned the chicken first, removed from the pan, then cooked the shallots and mushroom (i used crimini). Then I made the sauce, reduced it and finally put everything (mushrooms and chicken) in the pan. Hope this makes sense; that way I only had to use 1 pan. Thanks for the delicous dinner! Good luck in the contest!
This recipe was very good, but one DH & I differed on in our evaluations. I liked the chicken coated in cracked black pepper the best, while he wasn’t crazy about the amount of pepper I used. I thought the mushroom & wine sauce was very tasty and contained a good amount of mushrooms. To me they & the wine were the best part of the sauce. I did have to increase the cooking time in order to reduce the sauce properly. All in all a nice meal served with pasta, a salad, and bread sticks. Thanks chef!!
This was very good... I did have to add a little more corn starch because the sauce wasn't thick enough for me... but the taste was out of this world... Wonderful recipe and easy to make.