Vegetarian Seitan Steaks With Mushroom Wine Sauce
photo by Rowen F.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 10mins
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth (I use mushroom Better Than Bouillon)
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce (a smooth marinara or pizza sauce will do)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 tablespoon chickpea flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 1⁄2 cups wild mushrooms, roughly chopped. chanterelle and oyster are best
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 -2 garlic clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dill
- 3 tablespoons chickpea flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine the gluten powder, 1/2 Tbs chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, and spices. separately combine the broth, soy sauce, tomato sauce and olive oil. Mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until you have a dough. Knead for 3 minutes. the dough will become firmer as the gluten develops. Let it rest for 10 minutes and then knead again for a minute. divide into 4 equal pieces. Knead each piece and form into the shape of a steak.
- Wrap each piece loosely in aluminum foil or parchment paper. Place the packets in a steamer and steam for 30 minutes. When the steaks cool, transfer them to the refrigerator for at least an hour but preferably overnight.
- in the meantime, sautee your onions, garlic, and mushrooms in butter until slightly softened. add the wine and simmer on medium until it has reduced down to a rich sauce. add salt and pepper and dill to taste. some might like a splash more white wine.
- Heat vegetable oil to medium high. season the remaining chickpea flour with salt and pepper. Lightly dredge the seitan steaks in the flour. Shake off the excess. Cook for 3 minutes per side, until they have a crispy, browned coating. top with your mushroom reduction and serve with potatoes and salad.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in new westminster, bc. I'm currently doing tech support for a living but I may be moving on to something more rewarding soon. I have two giant cats. I like to cook and bake. I have a passion for healing craft. I'll be starting my first garden in the spring. and I can't think of anything else interesting right now.