Beef Tenderloin in Mushroom-Wine Sauce
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 30mins
- 1 (3 lb) beef tenderloin (the beef tenderloin can be a bit bigger)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (can use a little more)
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter (no subs!)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon louisiana hot sauce
- 1 pinch black pepper (or use up to 1/4 teaspoon)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 -2 teaspoon flour
- Line a medium roasting pan with foil.
- Lightly coat the tenderloin with olive oil; place on a plate and let sit out on the counter until almost room temperature (this might take several hours, this is an important step so do not omit, this will relax the meat fibers and make for a more tender and juicy beef roast!).
- Season the beef with salt and black pepper (nothing else!).
- Place in the roasting pan and bake uncovered in a 450 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile while the roast is cooking; melt the 1/2 cup butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add in onions slices, garlic and mushrooms; cook stirring for about 6-7 minutes.
- Add/stir in wine, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning and hot sauce and pinch of black pepper.
- In a small bowl whisk together beef broth and flour until completely blended and smooth; add to the wine mixture.
- Reduce the heat and simmer stirring occasionally for 10 minutes or until the onion slices are tender.
- Remove the beef from the oven and reduce heat to 425 degrees, then top with prepared mushroom/wine sauce; return to oven for about 16-18 minutes more or to desired doneness.
- Transfer the beef to a serving platter and pour the sauce over beef or transfer to a gravy server.
- Let beef stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!