Recipe by Lvs2Cook
A great Southern Living Recipe. Plan ahead, the onions are caramelized in the crock pot. Onions are not included in the prep time or cooking time.
Top Review by Roxygirl in Colorado
I had been wanting to try carmelized onions in the crock pot, so I appreciated the recipe for that alone. The smell was fabulous in my kitchen all day. I thought the beef broth was a nice touch. I went ahead and added the balsamic vinegar directly to the crock pot before serving. I have lots of leftover onions that I will put to good use. I added some steak seasoning to the hamburger mixture. Thanks so much for the delicious recipe. Roxygirl in Colo.
- 2 extra large sweet onions
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth or 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef broth, undiluted
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup caramelized onion
- 2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- lettuce leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut onions in half; cut each half into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Combine all ingredients in a 3 1/2 quart slow cooker. Cook, covered, at HIGH 8 hours or until golden brown and very soft.
- Store onions in an airtight container; refrigerate up to 2 weeks or freeze up to 2 months.
- Yield: 2 cups.
- Shape beef into 4 patties.
- Combine salt and next 4 ingredients; sprinkle evenly over both sides of patties.
- Grill, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat 5 minutes on each side or until beef is no longer pink.
- Cook caramelized onions and vinegar in a saucepan over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Spoon over burgers. Top with lettuce, and serve on rolls.