Prep 24 hrs
Cook 20 mins
These sandwiches are delicious. I got the recipe a long time ago from a television show called "Cooking From Quilt Country" with Marcia Adams. Plan ahead as the filling needs to chill overnight.
- 8 ounces swiss cheese, juilienned
- 8 ounces boiled ham, juilienned
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (8 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained well
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed (scant)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 12 slices rye bread
- In a medium bowl, combine everything but the bread and the butter.
- Chill overnight.
- Spread butter on one side of each bread slice.
- Top with cheese/ham mixture and another slice of buttered bread.
- Cut diagonally to serve.
These sandwiches are one of my favorites. Two of my co-workers turned me on to them when they ate box lunches prepared by Marcia Adams (she lives in our town) which included these delicious sandwiches. They then made them for us at work. Sometimes I replace a tablespoon or two of mayonnaise with grainy mustard. Yum! Thanks for sharing!