Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Outstanding flavor in a chunky sauce !
- 2 lbs penne (prepared)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 (35 ounce) canssan marzano plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup vodka
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 20 cured black olives (pitted & sliced)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Heat olive oil & butter in heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, cover & cook until onion is translucent, stirring occasionally ~ 5 minutes. Then add garlic, crushed red pepper, mushrooms & cook for another 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes & enough of the liquid from tomatoes to make 5 cups of tomato mixture & cook for ~ 3 minute
- Stir in vodka & cook for ~ 10 minute on low heat stirring often.
- Add fresh chopped basil; salt & pepper (to taste) & olives. Simmer gently, uncovered, add heavy cream & stir until sauce thickens.
- ( Sauce should be coarse/thick but, not too chunky).
- Add sauce to Penne; top with ~ 3/4 cup grated cheese & leave rest of cheese for additional topping.
- For 1 Lb of Penne reduce tomatoes; cream; vodka by half & garlic to 7 cloves.