Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Growing up in a small town with a huge pecan tree in the back yard spawned all kinds of ways to use pecans. This is made with boneless breast about a 1/2 lb each. I've also used turkey for a change of taste. Just need to prep a little more stuffing as the breasts are bigger.
- 2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 onion, small, diced fine
- 1 cup pork sausage, cooked, crumbled
- 2⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon parsley, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- To prepare stuffing: Over med low heat melt 1 tbs butter in small skillet and add finely diced onion with a pinch of salt. sweat onion till soft and opaque. turn up heat to med and add sausage. Crumble sausage as fine as you can get it as it cooks with side of spatula.
- Drain excess fat and let cool. Add bread crumbs, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper, pecans. Mix well and add beaten egg to hold it all together.
- Cut a pocket in the thick side of the chicken breast (butterfly cut) and fill with stuffing. Brown both side of breast in skillet. Place in casserole dish and add 1 cup chicken broth.
- Bake @ 350 degrees F for 25 - 30 minutes or until done. Chicken should come out tender with no dryness.
- Pour off broth into a small sauce pan, bring to a boil and stir in 1tbs slurried flour to thicken. Salt and pepper to taste if needed. Pour gravy over stuffed chicken breasts.
This is really delicious and easy to make. I used Italian chicken sausage. Cooking time was just right. Chicken was very moist. Made for My 3 Chefs game.