Recipe by Reddyrat
This is a delicious, moist pie/cake. It doesn't resemble a cake in texture. The only sense you can get that there's cake mix in here comes from the slightly cakey flavor. I found it in The Cake Mix Doctor.
Top Review by Mirj
My step-daughter-in-law loves pecan pie and it was her birthday last week, so I baked this for dessert when she and her husband (my stepson) came over for dinner on Friday night. I don't use cake mix so just made up the dry ingredient part of a regular yellow cake. I did read the recipe wrong and used all 4 eggs for the cake mix part, and then had to add in another three eggs to the pecan part as called for in the recipe, but it didn't detract at all from this cake. It was rich, cloyinging sweet as a pecan pie should be, and a total hit. Thanks!
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) yellow cake mix (I used one with pudding mix in it)
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped pecans (the original recipe said to toast the pecans, but I didn't)
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix together cake mix, melted butter, and 1 egg. Blend for 1 to 2 minutes. The batter will be very thick - more like cookie dough. Reserve 2/3 cup of batter.
- Pat remaining batter in bottom of 13x9 inch pan.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until crust is light brown and puffs up. Remove from oven and cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Leave the oven on.
- Mix together reserved batter, corn syrup, brown sugar, remaining 3 eggs, and vanilla. Blend on low for 1 minute. Scrape down sides of bowl with a spatula. Mix at medium speed until well combined and blended. There will first be little chunks of the cake mix batter. Mix well until those chunks disappear.
- Fold in pecans and chocolate chips.
- Pour mixture on top of partially cooked batter and smooth it out with a spatula. Return pan to oven.
- Bake cake until edges are brown but cetner is still a bit soft - 40-45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cook on a rack for 30 minutes.