The recipe for these tasty treats was found in Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove Cookbook, 2009. Preparation time does not inclue the time needed for the cookies to cool.
FOR THE COOKIE DOUGH
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup granulated sugar (plus extra for topping)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
FOR THE FILLING
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F & line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper for even browning & to guard against burning.
- FOR THE COOKIE DOUGH ~ In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda & salt.
- In a large bowl, & with an electric mixer at high speed, beat butter, peanut butter & both sugars until light & fluffy.
- Beat in eggs & vanilla, then gently fold in the flour mixture until just incorporated.
- Roll a rounded tablespoon of dough between your hands to make a ball, then place it on the prepared baking sheets. Repeat until cookie dough is all used up.
- Dip a fork in some additional granulated sugar & press each dough ball to make a crisscross pattern.
- Bake for 14 minutes or until lightly brown around the edges.
- Set the baking sheets on wire racks & cool 5 minutes before transferring cookies directly onto the wire racks to cool completely.
- FOR THE FILLING ~ In a medium bowl beat all filling ingredients together until creamy.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of the filling onto the flat side of 1 cookie & press the flat side of a 2nd cookie onto the filling, creating a cookie sandwich. Repeat until sandwich cookies are completed!