Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
Posted in reply to a message board request. This recipe is from "The I love Peanut Butter Cookbook" by William I. Kaufman (1965). I cannot vouch for the results, as I have never tried this recipe. Note: Cook Time does not include chilling time.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk, scalded
- 2 egg yolks, well beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup smooth peanut butter (not chunky)
- 1 cup cold whole milk
- 1 9-inch baked pie crusts or 8 baked 3.5 inch tart shells
- In the top of a double boiler, combine sugar, flour and salt; stir to mix well.
- Add a small amount of scalded milk to the flour mixture; stir until smooth.
- Add the remaining scalded milk, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Very slowly pour a small amount (about 1 to 2 Tablespoons) of the cooked mixture into the well beaten egg yolks, stirring as you pour.
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the double boiler and cook the mixture 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Remove the mixture from the double boiler and allow it to cool.
- When cooled, strain the mixture to remove any lumps.
- Add vanilla to cooled mixture.
- Place the peanut butter in a small bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup cold milk to the peanut butter, whip with a rotary beater until smooth.
- Add remaining cold milk and whip again until smooth.
- Blend peanut butter mixture into cooled custard mixture.
- Pour into prebaked pie or tart shells, chill well until set (at least 2 hours).
- Pie may be topped with whipped cream before serving.