Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Metropolitan Cookbook 1964...I love old cookbooks! I love the combination of peanut butter and bananas in this quick bread. (Edited to adjust the baking times to 35-45 minutes and not the original 1 hour. My oven it takes almost a complete 45 minutes where reviewers are baked in 35 minutes. Just check after 35 minutes so it does not get overbaked!)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda and set aside.
- Cream together the shortening and peanut butter; then add the sugar gradually while creaming -- continue to cream until light a fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Stir in dry ingredients alternately with the mashed bananas; mix well but do not beat or overmix or you will get tough bread.
- Spoon batter into well greased loaf pan 8x4x3.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
This bread is soooooooo good! It is moist, full of banana and pb flavour and has such a crunchy crust! Mmmm! We LOVED this and could not stop eating it. Its like a sinful dessert.
I made some changes to make it a little healthier: I used half whole spelt flour, left out the shortening and used all natural pb. Also I felt that the bananas were sweet enough for my taste, so I only used 1/2 tbs of sugar, so that the bread had a nice fruity sweetness.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this delish treat with us, Mel!
Made and reviewed for Potluck Tag Game November 2010.
This was wonderful! I only had 2 large bananas so the peanut butter kinda dominated but that's OK! I also had to cook mine for about 50 minutes. Very, very good! Made for Zaar I Recommend Tag Game 2011.
Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwiches are my DH's all time favorite snack - so I new I couldn't go wrong with the combination. Should have known my peanut butter loving friend HL would have a wonderful recipe like this posted. This bread is moist and absolutely delicious!!! I did add two tablespoons of flax seed meal.... which helped to add to the nutty flavor - and this is wonderful with a little strawberry cream cheese too!!! Thank you GF, I know I'll be making this often when I have bananas to use up!!!