From Metropolitan Cookbook 1964...I love old cookbooks! I love the combination of peanut butter and bananas in this quick bread. (Edited to adjust the baking times to 35-45 minutes and not the original 1 hour. My oven it takes almost a complete 45 minutes where reviewers are baked in 35 minutes. Just check after 35 minutes so it does not get overbaked!)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda and set aside.
- Cream together the shortening and peanut butter; then add the sugar gradually while creaming -- continue to cream until light a fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Stir in dry ingredients alternately with the mashed bananas; mix well but do not beat or overmix or you will get tough bread.
- Spoon batter into well greased loaf pan 8x4x3.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until pick inserted in the center comes out clean.