Recipe by Anne Sainz
When I first saw a recipe for Peanut Butter Soup I wasn't sure how it would be but I decided to give it a try since I love peanut butter. What a pleasant surprise! This version is adapted from Jane Brody's "Good Food Book" modified to be more in keeping with a Nutritarian eating style.....For each can of low sodium broth, I substitute 2 cups water, 1 tablespoon VegiZest (from drfuhrman.com) and 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional).
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced (3-4 mushrooms, sliced)
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can reduced-sodium navy beans, drained and rinsed (or other low-sodium white beans)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans low sodium vegetable broth (or other low-sodium broth)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup natural-style peanut butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot (3 qt or more).
- Bring soup to a boil, stirring several times so bottom doesn’t burn.
- Reduce heat, cover the pan and simmer the soup until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender or food processor. Do not over blend.