Recipe by tori.zombie
I substituted peaches in for the pineapples in a recipe I found in the Mennonite Community Cookbook, and added to it just a little. My family absolutely loves this! (edited to remove the double milk in the ingredient list, oops!)
Top Review by CJAY
This is very good. I followed it as written except for the extra 1/2 cup of milk. I figured it was a typo. I really liked the diced peaches in the batter. What a great idea! Made for Fall PAC 2011. Thanks for sharing.
- 2 (15 ounce) canssliced peaches, drained
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add brown sugar and stir until well blended. Pour into greased cake pan.
- Arrange 1 can of peach slices on top on brown sugar mixture. Set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together shortening and white sugar. Add eggs, beat until light.
- Sift flour and measure. Sift together flour, salt and baking powder. Add alternately with milk into creamed mixture. Beat thoroughly after each addition.
- Mix in vanilla, then add in remaining can of peach slices. (I prefer to cut the slices into smaller pieces first. Think bite-size!).
- Pour batter over brown sugar mixture and peaches in the cake pan.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. (Remember oven times may vary! So always check center with a fork or toothpick, ready when it comes out clean.).
- Invert pan onto serving plate. Serve and enjoy! Also good with whipped cream.