Recipe by Rhonda *J*
I cut this out of my local newspaper but have yet to make it , i thought it sounded really good and would make a nice summery dessert.
Top Review by Jopalis
This was delicious. With my addition of a homemade sponge cake (Nick Malgieri recipe), it would be 5 stars. It was a light and lovely summer dessert. I needed far more of the liqueur mixture and basted it on the cake layers with a pastry brush. Be sure your peaches are at least a little ripe or they are too hard. It's lovely and I will be making it and other fruit/liqueur variations over and over.
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 peaches, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
- 2 tablespoons peach liqueur
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 8 sponge cake shells
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- peach slices
- toasted almond
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the custard: Combine sugar and flour in heavy bottomed saucepan,add milk& beaten egg yolks.
- Cook, stirring constantly over medium heat until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Place wax paper directly on surface to prevent a skin forming,cool.
- To assemble the trifle: Place 1/2 of the sponge cakes in the bottom of a glass serving bowl.
- Pierce the cakes with a fork.
- Sprinkle 1/2 combined liqueurs and juice over sponge cake.
- Cover with 1/2 chopped peaches.
- Pour 1/2 warm custard over top,making sure some seeps onto cake layer.
- Repeat layers.
- Top with whipped cream.
- Decorate with sliced peaches& almonds.