Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A nice coffee cake for brunch that doesn't use eggs. Taken from a variation on a Gold Medal recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar or 2 tablespoons sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sugar or 1⁄4 cup sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 -5 medium firm ripe peaches
- 3 tablespoons sugar or 3 tablespoons sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 375 degree F.
- Blanch peaches in boiling water for 1 minute to ease removal of skin. Pitt and slice into 1/2 inch slices. In a large bowl, toss peaches with 3 tablespoon of sugar and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In medium size bowl stir flour, baking powder, and 2 tablespoon sugar until well blended. Add whipping cream until just blended. Turn out on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Using hands, press on an ungreased large cookie sheet forming a 10-12 inch round about 1/4 inch thick.
- Next using electric mixer, beat cream cheese in medium size bowl adding the 1/4 cup of sugar and almond extract. Spread mixture over dough to within 2 inches of the edge.
- Spread prepared peaches over the cream cheese mixture and top with the sliced almonds. Fold the 2 inch edge of dough over the fruit mixture. Pleat the dough as the edge folded.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes. Good served warm and cooled.