Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
It's a light dessert suitable for the summer. Post for the Zaar World Tour 2006. You can use all sorts of fruits such as bananas, strawberries, pineapple, cherries, etc.
- Mix with a electric mixer the egg whites for 3 minutes. Gradually add spoon by spoon the sugar, the vinegar and the salt. Keep on stirring until its firm.
- Put baking paper in a casserole dish or Pyrex.
- Preheat oven at 150°C or 300°F.
- Arrange the meringue in the Pyrex and place in the oven.
- Reduce temperature at 140°C or 280°F and cook for 90 minutes.
- When the pavlova is cold enough, break in pieces and put them in glasses mixed with the fruits, also in small pieces.
LOved it.. the taste was great but I feel that the texture was very soft. If you like your Pav's all marshmellow fluff and a little on the stickier side then this is prefect but most Pav's I know have this consistancy on the inside and then a crunchier crust on the outside. I'm certain that making this in a pyrex dish was the reason for no crunchy outside crust and that cooking it on an oven tray would have given it a crust. That said, the flavour was great, and it was definiately yummy.I combined mine with slice fresh pineapple, peaches, blueberries and nectarines for a beautiful low fat dessert. Please see my rating system: The softness if the Pav did make it harder to spoon into the glasses, so I will be making this one again, but sans pyrex next time and then can ejoy a crusty outer layer as well. Thanks!
Wonderful low cal dessert (on WW I figured about 2 points which includes the fruit). I used a mixture of berries for the fruit (strawberries, blueberries and blackberries) - I think other fruits will also be great. I picked this recipe as a way to use up egg whites - but we will be having this often this summer!
I give this a 5 star for easy and so tasty. I did not bake the meringue the 90 minutes, just until set and brown on the top which gave me a firm texture like on a meringue pie. It was beautiful layered with banana slices, banana pudding, pavlova and topped with toasted walnut halves. Great quick dessert. Love Meringue.