Black Forest Cherry Cheesecake
photo by Tinkerbell
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 10mins
- 2 cups pitted dark sweet cherries
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄3 cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1 large egg white
- cooking spray
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened (1/3 less fat)
- 8 ounces fat free cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 36 dark sweet cherries, pitted and halved
- To prepare the cherry topping, place 2 cups cherries in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth.
- Combine the pureed cherries, 1/4 cup sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Pour cherry topping into a bowl; cover and chill.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To prepare the crust, combine the crumbs, 1/4 cup sugar, butter, and egg white in a bowl; toss with a fork until well-blended.
- Press crumb mixture into the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes; cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 300°F.
- To prepare the filling, combine sour cream, milk, and cheeses in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended. Add 1 1/4 cups sugar, cocoa, vanilla, and eggs; beat well. Stir in mini chips.
- Pour cheese mixture into prepared pan. Bake at 300°F for 50 minutes or until almost set (center will not be firm, but will set up as it chills).
- Turn oven off; cool cheesecake in closed oven 40 minutes. Remove from oven; cool on a wire rack.
- Spread cherry topping over cheesecake. Top with cherry halves. Cover and chill 8 hours.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Rich & decadent, this cheesecake is. The filling was very smooth & creamy. I wasn't sure about the chocolate grahams at first, but turns out to be one of the best parts. I followed the recipe on almost everything. I had to use frozen cherries, one fat-free cream cheese & one regular. The only change I'll make in the future is to add a drop or two of almond extract to the cherry topping & decrease the unsweetened cocoa to just 2 Tablespoons. (Personal preferance to make it a little sweeter.) Also, if using frozen cherries I'd advise cutting the cherries for the top while frozen & then keep frozen until time to put them on top. I didn't & they were pretty messy to cut & then not very pretty all squishy on top. I think this would look fabulous when we can get fresh fruit. Tested & enjoyed during Photo Swap of Jan 2008!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Molson 6/13/1993 - 1/2/2007 <br /><br />You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us. ~Robert Louis Stevenson <br /><br /><br /><br />PARTICIPATION BANNERS: <br /><img src=http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/vseward/Bevy/officialmemberofthebevtaggame.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/calendar%20clips/Copyofsoybean.jpg border=0 alt=tag /> <br /><br /><br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC11-Kim.jpg alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2237/2417939508_a2fe6ca1d6.jpg?v=0 alt=Rosemary Herb for January 2008 /> <img src=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2140/2418175268_0be79b1528.jpg?v=0 alt=Cumin Herb for February 2008 /> <br /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/532663/garden%20forum%20sage.JPG alt= /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/532663/cinnamonchallenge.JPG alt= /> <br /><img src=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3070/2821533761_69a8a5ea82.jpg?v=0 alt= /> <br /><a href=http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/starrynews/?action=view?t=oregano1.jpg target=_blank><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/starrynews/oregano1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></a> <br /><br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%203/ZWT3-Participation.gif alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t237/akplongmeadow/AdoptATag2-2-1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></p>