Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a wonderful simple recipe to use up your garden-ripe tomatoes and fresh basil, taken from one of her most popular cookbooks "Paula Deen's Kitchen Classics" prep time does not include preparing and baking the pie crust
- 1 deep dish pie shell (9-inch)
- 1 egg white (lightly beaten, about 1 tablespoon)
- 5 roma tomatoes (use only Roma tomatoes)
- 8 -10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 large green onion, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise (can reduce to 3/4 cup)
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the pie shell onto a baking sheet.
- Lightly brush the bottom and sides with egg white.
- Partially bake the pie crust for 8 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Layer the tomato slices with the basil and onion into the partially-baked pie shell, then sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- In a bowl mix together both cheeses and the mayonnaise, then spread over the tomatoes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
This recipe was fabulous! I made it for a potluck with a small group of friends, and everyone loved it. Besides how could anything with that much cheese taste bad! I will definitely make it again.
I didn't like this at all, and my husband didn't either. I have always loved Paula Deen's recipes but this one is not great. My pie was runny....even though I salted the tomatoes and let them sit for longer than the recipe said to. And it tasted way too much like mayo. Sorry to say but I wish I hadn't wasted my yummy farm fresh heirloom tomatoes on this recipe.
Kit you sure know the best recipes, this was very easy and amazing, I used a frozen pie crust, thank you.