Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
"All southern women are brought up to be able to make several dishes. This is one of them. This is the same recipe that my Maw-Maw used. She served it plain with powdered sugar on top, with strawberries & homemade whipped cream. If you were lucky she would toast you a piece for breakfast, and you could have it with one of her homemade jam's or jellies."
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup Butter Flavor Crisco or 1⁄2 cup any shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease & flour a 10" tube pan or bundt pan.
- Sift dry Ingredients.
- Cream butter & shortening together.
- Add sugar a little at a time.
- Cream until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition to fully incorporate the eggs into the batter.
- Add dry ingredients and milk to mixture alternating; starting and ending with flour.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until it passes the toothpick test.
This goes in the keeper file. Perfection served with whipped cream and fresh seasonal fruit.
I made this today and it is delicious! It is so simple to make and it will have you going back for more. I had it plain, but I think it would be delicious with some strawberries or other fresh fruit. Definitely a keeper. I did only have to bake mine for about 55 minutes.
this is the same recipe that my mom always made when I was a kid. It is the best pound cake out there. I can still remember sitting on the floor in the kichen with that bowl of leftover cake batter... sooooo good!