1/1 Photo of Paul Prudhomme's Poorman's Jambalaya
1 hr 10 mins
Killer jambalaya! No tomato in this one and consider yourself warned: careful with the peppers in the seasoning mix. I usually cut the various peppers to 1/4 of the listed amount. I use my food processor to chop the vegetables. Do them separately to get them the right size. Have all the ingredients prepped and ready before you begin cooking because if you don't pay attention, you'll burn it. Make every effort to use homemade stock or sodium-free stock. This is soooo good and sooo worth the effort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 small bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper (preferably cayenne)
- 1 teaspoon gumbo file (file powder) (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 6 ounces tasso (about 1 1/2 cups) or 6 ounces other smoked ham, diced
- 6 ounces smoked andouille sausages (about 1 heaping cup) or 6 ounces kielbasa, diced
- 1 1/2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups uncooked rice (preferably converted)
- 4 cups beef stock or 4 cups chicken stock (if not salt-free, adjust salt)
- 1Seasoning Mix: Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- 2Jambalaya: Use a large, heavy skillet, cast iron is best; over high heat melt margarine; add tasso and andouille, or ham and sausage, and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3Add onions, celery, bell pepper, seasoning mix and garlic; stir and cook 10-12 minutes until well browned, scraping the bottom of the pan well.
- 4Stir in rice and cook 5 minutes, again scraping the pan bottom often; add stock.
- 5Bring mixture to boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, about 20 minutes, until rice is tender but still a bit crunchy; stir a bit towards the end of the cooking time; remove bay leaves and serve.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Paul Prudhomme's Poorman's Jambalaya
Serving Size: 1 (534 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 663.4
- Calories from Fat 222
- Total Fat 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 24.4 mg
- Sodium 2160.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 19.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: