Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
My brother used to call these "rotten" potatoes, but they are delicious. So much for brothers.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups potatoes (cold boiled or baked, cubed)
- Melt butter.
- Add flour and salt; stir until well blended.
- Add milk gradually, stirring constantly.
- When thickened, add grated cheese.
- Remove from heat.
- Place potatoes in greased baking dish.
- Cover with sauce.
- Bake at 400° for 30-40 minutes.
- Serves 4.
- My brother used to call these "rotten potatoes", but they are really good.
We really liked this recipe. I didn't have the precooked potatoes so I nuked some potatoes quickly and made this. I did add some bacon bits and red onion on top of the potatoes before I poured the cheese over. This is a simple recipe that really works when you are short on time!
These are the bomb, and I'll tell you why....you will be able to make these even during the week, because you pre-prep the potatoes, (in fact, you could probably do this the day prior) do a quick slice, layer the potatoes, the sauce, the potatoes, the sauce, and put her in the oven. Mine looks rustic, and beautiful, dotted with cheese and delightful sauce. The top is slightly browned nicely, and is totally "rotten". I didn't change anything except add a dash of Tabasco to the sauce, and dotted the top with a little butter nibs. YUM! Thanks, Bliss!
i made this as a side with chicken breast and broccoli. i added 1 teaspoon of paprika on top and 1 tablespoon of "cheez whiz medium" cheese dip & everyone loved it! i did have to cook the potatoes an extra 15-20 minutes but that couldve just been because i didnt cut the potatoes thin enough. but i will be making this normally, thank you! :)