Recipe by Dotty2
Creamy Pastitsio. This recipe was pictured on the cover of a magazine in a cook off. It did win 1st prize and has been that in our house ever since.
- 2 cups macaroni
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 6 1⁄2 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (or fresh)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni until tender but firm. Drain and rinse under cold water,drain again and add 1/3 parmesan cheese and set aside.in skillet melt 1-1/2 tsp of the butter over med. heat,cook onion and garlic,stirring for 3 minutes.
- Stir in beef,oregano,cinnamon,salt and pepper;cook stirring for 7-10 minutes or until no longer pink.Drain off fat.
- Stir in tomatoes,tomatoe paste and vinigar.Cook stirring for 3 minutes.Remove from heat,stir in parsley. Set aside.
- SAUCE: in saucepan,melt butter over med heat. Whisk in flour,cook whisking for 2 minutes without browning.Pour in milk,cook,whisking for about 5 minutes or until thickened.Remove from heat stir in cottage cheese,egg,nutmeg,salt and pepper.
- Grease 10" pie plate with remaining 1-1/2 tsp butter. sprinkle with bread crumbs. Spoon in half of the macaroni,spread meat mixture evenly over top.
- Sprinkle with one third of the parmesan. Spoon remaining macaroni over top. Carefully pour sauce over macaroni.
- (NOTE: can be prepared to this point,covered and refrigerated for up to 1 day. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes and add 10 minutes to baking time). Sprinkle with remaining parmesan. Bake on baking sheet(or pan)at 350F for 50 to 60 monutes or until top is golden brown.