Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a childhood favorite that conjures up memories of growing up as a gringa in South Florida and sitting in the open air Cuban Cafes and indulging on these sweet pastries! These pastries are wonderful with a café con leche!! They were a special treat that we were allowed to have on occasion for breakfast. It is actually one of the few things I actually miss about South Florida! The recipe is from Alex Garcia.
- 453.59 g cream cheese
- 453.59 g butter (softened)
- 453.59 g flour
- 680.38 g guava paste
- sugar, for sprinkling
- Blend the cream cheese, butter and flour until well mixed; Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll out the dough into a 1/4-inch thick square; Cut the rolled dough into 16 to 20 squares.
- A little off center of each square, place 1 tablespoon guava paste.
- Fold the dough over the guava paste, forming a triangle; Press the edges shut.
- Place the pasteles onto a cookie sheet and sprinkle them with a thin layer of sugar.
- Bake until the pasteles are evenly browned, about 25 minutes.
OMG! These are fantastic! And SOO easy to make!! I halved the recipe both times, first time I made them into triangles. The 2nd time I made them bite sized (perfect for a party) ~ To halve Recipe : 8 oz Cream Cheese. 2 Sticks Butter. 1 1/2 cups flour plus flour for rolling. Cut out dough with drinking glass and fill with a slightly heaping 1/2 teaspoon of guava paste. Pinch together edges with fork. Sprinkle with sugar. Makes 28-32 pasteles!! (cook pasteles closer to top rack in oven... I found some of the Large Pasteles weren't completely cooked). They turned out great either way ~ I prefer the smaller size because they're less messy and I can eat a ton! I think the only thing that would disagree with these tiny wonders are my hips!! :O) Thanks so much for posting! P.S. They freeze great too!! :O)
Thank you so much for this recipe! My husband (of Cuban descent) was amazed at these! He, of course, loves Guava and Cream Cheese and this recipe was just perfect! I went a bit heavier on the guava than the recipe called for, but they were still perfect! He now wants me to make these every day, and we're never going to buy them at the store again!! Thank you!
These are so good--and bring back such great memories--eating these for breakfast with cafe con leche. Thank you, Cheryl!