This is a childhood favorite that conjures up memories of growing up as a gringa in South Florida and sitting in the open air Cuban Cafes and indulging on these sweet pastries! These pastries are wonderful with a café con leche!! They were a special treat that we were allowed to have on occasion for breakfast. It is actually one of the few things I actually miss about South Florida! The recipe is from Alex Garcia.
- Blend the cream cheese, butter and flour until well mixed; Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll out the dough into a 1/4-inch thick square; Cut the rolled dough into 16 to 20 squares.
- A little off center of each square, place 1 tablespoon guava paste.
- Fold the dough over the guava paste, forming a triangle; Press the edges shut.
- Place the pasteles onto a cookie sheet and sprinkle them with a thin layer of sugar.
- Bake until the pasteles are evenly browned, about 25 minutes.