Recipe by ellie_
This simple supper is a great way to use the last of garden zucchini and tomatoes. Adapted from Bon Appetit (September 2004)
Top Review by Deb from Ca
Very tasty, healthy and delicious! I made some changes based on preference and what I had on hand. I used a 14 oz can of tomatoes instead of fresh, cilantro instead of oregano, leftover whole wheat spaghetti instead of macaroni and 1/2 pound of bacon instead of 1 pound. My husband and I both loved it. Thanks for the quick, yummy recipe!
- 1 lb bacon, thick sliced, cut crosswise into one inch pieces
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 yellow bell peppers or 1 red bell pepper, cored and cut into strips
- 1 1⁄2 cups white wine (or 1/2 cup sherry and 1 cup white grape juice or just all white grape juice)
- 1 lb macaroni (rotini or elbow work well)
- 2 zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup fresh oregano, chopped
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese or 4 ounces feta cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat until crisp and brown. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper towel covered plate to drain. Discard all but 3 tablespoons of bacon drippngs.
- Add onion and bell pepper to the skillet and cook until soft about 3-5 minutes.
- Add wine and bring to a boil, simmer until reduced by 1/3 about 3-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook pasta in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes and then add zucchini and cook for remaining time according to package directions. (about 10 minutes total time) Drain.
- Add pasta, zucchini, bacon, tomatoes and oregano to onion in dutch oven. Toss and cook over medium-high heat for about 3-5 minutes or until pasta is coated with sauce.
- Add cheese, toss, and cook for another few minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve at once or this can be prepared ahead of time and reheated at 350°F until hot (about 30 minutes).