Recipe by crazycookinmama
I got this recipe out of a Cooking Pleasures magazine. It was simple and easy to prepare, and super tasty
- 3 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced celery
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups chopped fresh plum tomatoes (about 2 Lbs)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 12 ounces cavatappie penne or 12 ounces other shaped pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in large skillet or ot over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes or until brown and crisp. With slotted spoon, place bacon on paper towel-lined plate.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings. Add onion; cook over medium heat 5 to 8 minutes or until onion is golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, celery and bay laeaf; cook 30 seconds or until garlic is fragrant. Add tomatoes, basil, thyme, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low to low; simmer 30 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirrying occasionally. Discard bay leaf.
- For a smooth sauce, pass saucethrough food mill or pulse in food processor or blender until of desired concistency. Return to skillet; stir in bacon. Heat over medium heat until hot. (Sauce can be made up to 3 days ahead and refrigerated or up to 4 months ahead and frozen.).
- Cook cavatappi on large pot of boiling salted water according to package directions; drain. Top with sauce.