Recipe by RedVinoGirl
This is one that I adopted from Emeril. It's actually a recipe I've been making for years and then found his. I always use a great quality hot turkey or hot chicken italian sausage for this and find that it's just as good as the real deal, however, the true recipe calls for real hot italian sausage. I make it a bit spicier and usually serve this with penne or farfalle. If I don't spice it up too much, even my 2 and 4 year old love this one.
Top Review by Chef Shantal
Yum!! I LOVE vodka sauce so much! I usually buy it pre-made from the store, but I tried this recipe and now I always make it homemade. I used 6 hot italian sausages, 1/2 white onion, 1 small red pepper and more red pepper flakes. I served it over whole wheat penne, but any pasta is good in my books! I have also made this sauce with sliced chicken breast, it is very good aswell. Thanks for a great recipe!!
- 453.59 g spaghetti
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 453.59 g hot Italian turkey sausage, casing removed and crumbled
- 236.59 ml yellow onion, chopped
- 2.46 ml salt
- 0.25 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 793.78 g can crushed tomatoes
- 88.74 ml vodka
- 88.74 ml heavy cream
- 44.37 ml fresh basil, minced
- 118.29 ml parmigiano-reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- 1 sprig fresh basil, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until just al dente, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain in a colander and return to the saucepan.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring, until browned and all pink has disappeared, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the onions, salt, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft and golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring, until thick, about 2 minutes. Add the vodka and cook until the sauce reduced by half, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the cream and cook until the sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. Stir in the basil and remove from the heat.
- Toss the sauce with the pasta to coat evenly and transfer to a pasta bowl for serving. Top with cheese and sprig of basil and serve immediately.