1/2 Photos of Pasta With Pancetta and Tomato Sauce
I finally found a recipe for a pasta sauce using pancetta. Very easy and delicious pasta recipe from Gaida De Laurentiis I played around with it and came out with this winner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 ounces pancetta, diced cut in small cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 shallot
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 pinch dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup basil
- 1/4 cup copped chives
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb pasta, of your choice
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino parmesan-romano cheese mix
- 1Add the pancetta to a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and saute until golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- 2Add the onions and continue to cook for another 20-minutes, or until the onions are deeply caramelized.
- 4Add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 5In the meantime, drain the tomatoes in a strainer over a bowl, reserving the liquid.
- 6When the onions is caramelized, add the drained tomatoes,the tomato paste, capers and the basil and chives.
- 7Increase the heat to medium, and cook until the tomatoes begin to leave brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- 8Then add the reserved tomato juice and water and use it to deglaze the pan. Cook for another 20 minutes to let the flavors meld.
- 9Taste to see if it needs extra seasoning.
- 10Meanwhile, boil the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- 11Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- 12Toss the pasta with the sauce in the skillet, adding some of the reserved cooking liquid until the pasta is moist but being careful not to dilute the sauce.
- 13Toss with the cheese. Season with pepper and salt, to taste.
- 14Tip:Cut the pancetta to really small pieces, the sauce turns out to be better if they are smaller.
- 15Use fresh or frozen Basil.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasta With Pancetta and Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (437 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 600.3
- Calories from Fat 106
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 7.2 mg
- Sodium 316.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 21.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: