Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Cherry tomatoes give such a warm flavour to this sauce. It could also be served with chicken.
Make and share this Pasta With a Cherry Tomato and Mascarpone Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 lbs cherry tomatoes
- 1 onion, finely diced
- salt, to taste
- 2 cups dry pasta (I use fusilli)
- 1⁄4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, very finely grated
- 10 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick skillet, over a medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, onion and salt. Stir frequently. This mixture will need to cook for about 25 minutes until the sauce has developed.
- When the tomatoes soften and the skins start to burst, press on them to release the juices inside. Once the majority of the skins have burst, it does not need stirring more than once every 5 minutes.
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package, so it will be ready in time for the sauce.
- After about 25 minutes, the tomatoes should all have split and the juices should have created a sauce. Stir in the mascarpone cheese until melted and blended in.
- If desired, use a blender or hand-blender to puree the sauce, otherwise it can be left chunky.
- Add the parmesan cheese and basil leaves to the sauce, stir and serve on top of the pasta or mixed together with the pasta.
This dish was super easy to make. The only alteration I made was to add about a tsp of fresh chopped thyme with the basil. I also used farfalle since that was the only short pasta I had on hand. Delicious!
I happened to have all the ingredients on hand. This was an easy to make basic tomato sauce but the mascarpone added an extra dimension of richness to the sauce. I didn't puree mine because I preferred it chunky.
i made this as a way to use up my end of the season tomatoes mm mmm it was a great treat and a nice way to introduce my family to mascapone cheese it went over well served it with a salad and some grilled chicken breast