Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Conchiglie con Scarola, Salsiccia e Formaggio
- 14 ounces escarole, cut into crosswise into 1-inch wide ribbons (about 10 cups)
- 8 ounces medium pasta shells (about 3 and 1/2 cups)
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 10 ounces sweet sausage, casings removed (about 3 links)
- 1 large red onion, cut through root end into thin wedges
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced drained oil-packed
- 3 tablespoons pecorino romano cheese, grated
- Cook escarole ribbons in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer escarole to strainer and drain, keeping water boiling. Add pasta shells to boiling water; cook pasta shells until 'al dente', stirring occasionally.
- Ladle out 1/2 cup cooking water; reserve.
- Drain pasta shells; return to pot.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage; saute until cooked through, breaking up with fork, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining olive oil, onion, and fennel seeds; saute until onion is almost tender, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, escarole, and reserved 1/2 cup cooking water; simmer until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add sausage mixture to pasta; toss. Transfer to bowl. Sprinkle with cheese.
- That's it!