Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 35 mins
The taste of fresh basil comes through nicely in this dish. My pasta loving teenagers really enjoy it. It has also been well received at potlucks. A tried and true family favorite.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried red pepper
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 2 (15 ounce) containers ricotta cheese
- 14 ounces feta cheese, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup chives, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 (12 ounce) package jumbo pasta shells
- For the sauce: Chop canned tomatoes in a food processor with their juices.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, saute for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add red pepper and chopped tomatoes with their juices. Simmer sauce for about an hour, stirring occasionally until the sauce is reduced to 5 cups.
- Remove from heat and mix in basil.
- For the filling: Combine ricotta, 10 oz of feta, eggs, basil and chives. Season to taste with salt.
- Assembly: Cook shells according to package directions. Rinse in cold water and drain.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups of the sauce on the bottom of a 9x13" baking dish.
- Spoon filling into each of the shells and place in the baking dish side by side. Top pasta shells with remaining sauce, sprinkle with remaining feta.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
Wow, fresh and flavorful for a simple filling! I thought maybe I had added too many chives when I tasted the filling, but they baked up perfectly. Really fresh and delicious. I want to try it with fresh ricotta next time!