Cindy Lynn's Note:
I had a big grilling weekend this Memorial Day holiday, which included Rita's Grilled Portabello Mushrooms (Grilled Portabella Mushrooms), a recently newfound 'ingredient' for us. Her recipe mentioned, as one of the alternatives, adding some to pasta salad. Well, I didn't have pasta salad when I grilled them, but I had some mushrooms left over after the main cookout of the weekend since I'd doubled the recipe. I was also short on time, and had limited ingredients--can't wait for the garden to begin producing!--so I pulled this recipe out of my head, the fridge, the freezer and stole from the onions that weren't quite ready in the garden... :-) I was amazed at how well it turned out and it was a major hit with my whole family and future daughter-in-law! I hope you enjoy it too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1 cup frozen peas, uncooked (or fresh peas, scalded for 1 to 2 minutes)
- 3/4 cup baby carrots
- 2 celery ribs
- 5 -6 spring onions or 5 -6 green onion tops
- 1/3-1/2 cup salad dressing (or your favorite mayo)
- 1 tablespoon tarragon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground horseradish
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (I use Grey Poupon for this)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- rita grilled portabella mushroom, diced (Grilled Portabella Mushrooms) (optional)
- 1Cook macaroni according to package instructions, al dente.
- 2Drain in colander, then rinse with cold water.
- 3When macaroni is chilled and well drained, return to pan.
- 4In foodprocessor, chop celery ribs and carrots (separately if using mini-food processor).
- 5Gently toss frozen peas with pasta, breaking apart any peas that are frozen together.
- 6Add chopped celery and carrots and gently toss again.
- 7In foodprocessor, blend remaining ingredients, excluding the mushrooms.
- 8Pour over pasta and vegetables, gently folding until coated.
- 9Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight to allow flavors to meld.
- 10Note: If using the option of Rita's Grilled Portabello Mushrooms, they can be blended in with the carrot and celery addition, or served as an optional topping or side to be added by each individual.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasta Salad--Inspired by Rita
Serving Size: 1 (86 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 186.2
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 8.0 mg
- Sodium 171.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: